Let’s talk about heartburn this time. But before we get deep into it, take note that heartburn is neither a complication nor a disease of the heart. As a matter of fact, it is not related to the heart at all though it might be a cause of a heart attack in some cases.
Heartburn takes place when your stomach acid backs up in your esophagus. Heartburn is usually caused by too much food intake, obesity, or pregnancy. This is because the stomach does not contract as it should be which burdens the stomach. Heartburn causes a painfully burning feeling in your chest which worsens when you lie down or bend over.
There are ways to prevent and treat heartburn. Heartburn cannot be treated completely but it can be relieved through medicines such as antacids or medicines that reduced and control stomach acid production. These kinds of medications can be bought over the counter
At Home Heartburn Remedies
Somehow, your lifestyle is what usually triggers heartburn so you might consider changing your way of living starting right now to prevent heartburn or control them from reoccurring.
- Exercise and maintain your health. Try to lose some weight if you need to because usually being overweight can cause heartburn
- Don’t wear tight clothes that put unnecessary pressure on your stomach and your esophagus.
- Avoid or stop taking food that triggers heartburn such as alcohol, chocolate, coffee, soft drinks, ketchup, spicy and fatty food.
- Eat smaller meals everyday rather than your usual portion. Think of it as going through a diet that you really need.
- Stop smoking. Enough said.
- Never lie down immediately after eating. Not only is it improper but it also causes strain to your stomach. If you have the habit of lying down after eating and you simply can’t stop yourself from doing it, then wait a couple of hours or three before lying down.
- Raise the head of your bed. Now, I don’t really know how effective this one is but it is one of the most given advice for heartburn remedies. You can place a wedge under your bed or add extra pillows to lift up your body from the waist up.
- Avoid anxiety and stress. This seems to be the most no-brainer of all things to do if you want to stay healthy. Stress and anxiety always create unfavourable conditions to our bodies so we might as well do away with them by avoiding them through simple techniques such as listening to music relaxing, and aromatherapy to calm us down.